Wednesday, October 19, 2011

50 - Disappointing GOP debate left out mention of Iraq

The following letter was published on October 19, 2011 by
The Cape Cod Times
Cape Cod, Massachusetts


The Oct. 11 Republican debate on the economy gave me a measurement of substance on each candidate. Among the full field, only three caught my attention in my narrowing-down process.

It seems to me former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney has the potential to start a trade war if he is elected president. His remarks and possible actions concerning the trade deficit with China may play well with his base; however, the world may view him as the coming of another George Bush, craving to make an enemy.

Former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman impressed me with his relaxed analytical side; it seems to me he quietly put forth an effort to make the other candidates transparent.

As for former pizza company executive Herman Cain, in my opinion, he is pretty much full of himself with his 9-9-9 tax; the middle class and the poor would lose out while the rich would continue to get richer.

At the end of the debate, I found myself disappointed that not one Republican candidate mentioned that the war in Iraq is a contributing factor to our ailing economy; in my opinion, this oversight makes them all appear disingenuous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home